As a member of the Fabrication Department, the On-Call Fabricator is responsible for producing museum-quality metal-work for exhibition furniture, custom hardware, and in house projects.
Supervisory Responsibilities- There are no direct reports associated with this position. However, this position may oversee other temporary workers or interns on occasion.
- Create exhibition displays, re-fabrications, and specialty projects (including custom elements for office furniture and build-outs) through use of specialized metal-working based on detailed construction drawings.
- Versed in tool and equipment maintenance.
- Adhere to OSHA standards for safety involving equipment and construction.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree required. MFA preferred.
- Over 3 years of metalworking experience required.
- Must be familiar with GMAW, GTAW, SMAW, and OAW operations in a variety of metals.
- Must possess a general knowledge of wood working techniques.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and schedule work to ensure optimum efficiency, quality, and completion on schedule.
- Ability to work from sketches and detailed drawings.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a team as well as to communicate and coordinate effectively with team leaders, internal departments, and shop craftsmen.
- Thorough understanding of the methods and specific equipment required for the fabrication trade. Skilled in the use and care of standard tools.
- Ability to analyze and anticipate details of assigned projects and to make recommendations as to materials and tools needed to bring projects to completion within budget constraints.
- Strong artistic background, with the ability to understand a designer’s or artist’s intent and execute work accordingly.
- Ability to work under pressure with flexibility.
- General expertise with all hand tools and pneumatics as well as spray booth/finishing techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Experience in the following areas is a plus: CNC operation, plastic fabrication, and rigging.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org. The Guggenheim offers access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com. Indicate the job title “On-Call Fabricator” in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.