The Lead Installer (LI) will be involved in the exhibition process from preproduction to deinstallation. The LI will participate in an initial training period with the team at our Red Hook studio in Brooklyn, followed by managing the preproduction phase. The LI will travel to Cincinnati from July through October, potentially working on location in Ohio full-time for 6-12 weeks. The ideal candidate is highly organized and skilled in a variety of production methods listed below. In addition to managing logistics, they will actively participate in all stages of the exhibition, and should be able to solve problems quickly and creatively. This is a major leadership position that involves complex multi-tasking, the ability to see the big picture, and organize a project start to finish.
Swoon Studio is a safe and open space, and we aim for positivity and calm in the face of high expectations. Our production team is competent, flexible, fast, and hardworking. While there is room to learn, applicants should have a significant amount of knowledge and experience.
- Participating in all aspects of production
- Managing on-site production staff, inventory, fabrication, and scheduling
- Liaising with museums and institutions regarding budgeting, shipping, scheduling, materials, etc.
- Managing shipping and handling of all work and materials -Planning travel and accommodations for artist and staff
- Maintaining communication with the Brooklyn studio while on-site
- Machinery logistics (scissor and cherry picker lift rental and use, etc.) Skills
- Proficient with hands on, detail-oriented studio work
- Competence with our production methods including relief block printing, hand painting techniques, color matching, paper cutting, pigment staining, wheat pasting, and sewing
- Ability to meet deadlines and anticipate complications
- Experience with materials used in arts, fabrication and construction; metals, woods, fabrics, glues, and associated techniques
- Familiarity with carpentry and fabrication
- Management skills: hiring, training, scheduling, quality control, coordinating subcontractors, and meeting production deadlines
- Art handling and installation experience
- Ability to safely and confidently drive a 24' box truck in cities, or hire accordingly
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Two years of experience in artist's studio or installation
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts
- Must have a valid driver's license
Part Time Temporary Position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send Resume, Cover Letter, Examples of work or link to your website and three references to: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: MARCH 27, 2017